Fruit is a healthy substitute to snack foods such as Hot Cheetos or ice cream. According to hearthealthyonline.com, the 10 healthiest fruits listed below are filled with nutrients that can help you lose weight by consuming three servings per day.
- Apples: there are different kind of apples like Granny Smith apples, Fuji apples, and red apples. They all contain high amounts of Vitamin C and fiber which is good for the digestive system. Always buy apples that have shiny skin with no bruises.
- Apricots: are high in Vitamin A, C, and E and they contain a lot of fiber. Vitamin A is good for healthy teeth, skin, and soft tissue. Vitamin E supports the body’s immune system and skin and also helps to protect skin cells.
- Bananas: contain Vitamin B6, fiber, and potassium. Potassium helps lower blood pressure and it helps reduce Charlie horses. When choosing bananas, pick firm ones with the stem attached.
- Berries: these can range from blueberries to strawberries. They contain Vitamin C, fiber, and potassium. Not only can they be eaten fresh, but also can be eaten frozen, in smoothies, and with yogurt and granola.
- Cantaloupe: contains Vitamins A, B6, and C and fiber. Vitamin B6 helps improves your metabolism and helps the body break down protein, which then helps your body produce more energy. They are best when they are eaten slightly frozen.
- Oranges: are packed with Vitamins A, B6, and C and fiber and potassium. Did you know that the white layer under the bright orange skin helps curb your appetite for about four hours?
- Grapefruit: although this fruit is bitter, it has Vitamin C, potassium, and calcium. Along with potassium, calcium helps lower blood pressure too. It’s best to serve these warm at room temperature, because they tend to be juicier.
- Kiwi: these tiny fruits contain Vitamin C and E, fiber, and magnesium. Vitamin E helps reduce cholesterol levels. Buy kiwis that are soft, not hard.
- Papaya: have Vitamins A, C, and E along with calcium and potassium.
- Peaches: this fuzzy fruit has Vitamins C, E, and K and fiber. Vitamin K is essential for developing proteins for our blood and bones. Once peaches ripen, the fuzz rubs off, making the skin enjoyable.
Author: Kristini Buchanan